Today we will be looking at chapter 6 of Stig of the Dump! (I have included a download of the chapter below for anyone who does not have the book)
So Miss Housley will start by reading the first few pages of the chapter in this video:
Let’s pause the video there. Today we are going to be inferring some information from the text. This means we think about the evidence from the book to this about how the characters feel and what the author has done to show this.
Here are the first few questions to think about:
- When Clive King (the author) introduced the two men, what do you think they were doing there? Why were they there? Use the book to help you answer this one! Could you discuss what Barney’s thinks to these two men is?
- If the two men were whispering to one another, what would they be saying to each other?
Task 1: Can you write down some ideas of what you think Barney is thinking in the image below when he has seen the two men?
Now Miss Housley is going to read the next few pages of chapter 6:
Now you know a little more about the men and what they are doing lets discuss a few more questions:
1.What do you think to the two men now? Has your opinion changed now you know a little bit more and have read more?
2. What was Barney thinking and feeling when he confronted the two men? Remember to try and use the book to help you discuss your answer.
Task 2: Can you write down some ideas of what you think Barney is thinking in the image below when he is meeting the two men and he has spoke to them?
Can you read the rest of the chapter yourselves? What are the two men there for? Was Barney right about what they were doing all along? The chapter is below for you to read if you do not have a copy at home.
Task 3: Can you write a wanted poster from the Police’s view for the two men? Use the book to help you get some evidence about the two men for your poster!
This chapter is about some children whom Sig and Barney meet.
Let’s pause there. Today, we are going to focus upon our prediction skills. When we predict, we usually say what we think will happen next,. This is not just a guess, we base our predictions on evidence in the text. However, today, we are going to use our prediction skills to build a picture of 3 characters we know very little about…the Snargets!
- Firstly, what evidence can we find in the text? How are the Snargets described? How do they act? How do they speak? What impression does Clive King (the author) give us of the boys? Can you use exact phrases from the text to help you describe the brothers to me?
- So, now you have built up an idea of who the Snargets are and what they are like, what will happen next? The Snargets have trapped Barney! What will he do? What will they do? WHAT WILL STIG DO IF HE FINDS OUT? I would like you to write your own version of the rest of the chapter BEFORE you read it.
- So, were you right in your predictions? Did you correctly predict how the story would go and what the Snargets would be like? Read the rest of the chapter yourself or with a family member to see.
At the end, I would like you to draw a sketch of Barney, Stig and Lou. Add a thought or a speech bubble to tell me what each of them is thinking at the end of the chapter!
Before you read chapter 3, look back at Chapter 2. Why is Barney (and everyone else) not sure that Stig is real? How many reasons can you think of?
Read Chapter 3. Why does the wood ‘warm you twice?’ What other sayings or ‘idioms’ do you know?